Nintendo Switch 5.0 Update Released; Adds New Player Icons, Add Facebook & Twitter Friends, & More
It's updating time.
Our trusty Switches now have access to firmware update 5.0. Some new stuff has been added, like the ability to add Facebook & Twitter friends through Friend Suggestions (that'll cut down the amount of friend codes you need to type in!), and the 24 new Arms & Kirby series icons to use for your profile.
With update 5.0, your digital purchases should begin downloading faster, even if your Switch is feeling a little sleepy.
You can also now filter news from the feed to any show unread messages / content from a specific channel of your choosing.
Captured videos in your album are now subject to parental controls, if they're set up of course.
A sweet addition to this update is that the Pro Controller grip colours will now show up in the Controllers menu, snazzy.
Below are the full patch notes from Nintendo's website:
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Friend suggestions are based on the Facebook and Twitter accounts you have linked to your Nintendo Account
- To view your friend suggestions, from the top left of the HOME Menu head to your User Page > Friend Suggestions
- You must be 13 or older to use this feature
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- When prompted to enter you Parental Controls PIN, press and hold the + Button to change between input methods
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Play-Time Limit restrictions will still apply even when the software title has been whitelisted.
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused Play Activity to display incorrectly in the Profile section of your User Page
How do these updates sit with you? Let us know below! Personally I wanted cloud saves / save backups. I have ~150 - 200 hours on Breath Of The Wild, and I don't want to lose my progress! :(
Written by Megan Parker Posted Has 7 Comments